Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Sponsorship - Introducing Kristi Powell

We'd like to take a moment to introduce Kristi Powell, who was selected to receive the most recent sponsorship. Challenges are a way of life. We've all come to expect that. But it's the ability to rise above challenges and still enjoy the very essence of life that is cause for inspiration. Kristi embodies this inspiring ability. 

FYC: How long have you been running/training?
Christi: I used to run back in the early 90’s however a move from Sunny 70’s California to Hot and Humid Arkansas in 1995 ended that as I could barely stand to be outdoors. I started running a few times since then but never was able to make it a priority until the end of 2011. Going on 3 years now and loving every crazy day that I am running!

FYC: Why did you start?
Christi:I started running quite by accident.  My son (whom has Muscular       Dystrophy) received a Service Dog in 2010 and part of my everyday activity was to walk the dog. One day I discovered she would rather run which led to a short run to the end of the street where I was totally out of breath. Before too long, I wanted to see if I could make it around the block, around the corner, 2 streets over and you get the picture. I downloaded Couch to 5K and took it even further, however the dog didn't make it.  She gave in at 1.5 miles, apparently she wasn't crazy like myself.  Once I was able to run my first 5K, I decided to do a 10K, and this is where I discovered what happens when you’re in last place. A cop car follows you. This inspired me to do better (although my time wasn't that bad, at 1hr 7 min) and I decided I would just train for a Half even if I didn't have a race to enter. My goal at that time was just to see if I could do it and the next year I would run St. Jude.  However I was able to get my training in and by the end of the year I ran my first St. Jude Half. 


FYC: What challenges do you face? What makes it difficult to train?
Christi: Definitely the biggest challenge for me is being a single mother, working a full time job and taking care of son who depends on me for his every basic need. A typical day for me would start at 4 am. I once tried to squeeze two runs a day and would start my first run at 3:15 am, get the kids ready and off to school by 6 am and then myself ready and off to work by 8 am. At 5pm, I would start my second run but only after returning home to change and make sure both kids were settled. Two runs a day left me too tired for my children, so I had to reorganize and cut back on my training just a little. I now only run after work and weekends.

FYC: What/who inspires you?
Christi: It’s simple, my 17 year old son whom has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. At 13 he lost his ability to walk. Every year he continues to lose strength in his entire body and currently is fighting to keep his arm strength so that he can feed himself. He never complains, never cry’s, apologizes all the time to me for asking me to do something for him because he no longer can. He smiles and laughs NON STOP, and has said repeatedly “I love my life!” What he knows, but doesn't let it affect him in any way, is that his disease is fatal as it will eventually take over his heart and respiratory system.  We live in the moment, trust in God and spend each day as crazy as we can!  There have been many times on my run that I feel tired and I just don’t have anything left to give, I think of him and that each and every movement he makes, he gives his 100%, ALL THE TIME! His smile and his attitude is what keeps me going.  I run for him because he can’t!

FYC: Do you have a favorite story about someone calling you crazy for wanting to do this?
Christi: All of us have been told at some point in our running careers that we are “Crazy” just for running a Half/Full or even 5 miles. They say things like “I can’t even run to the mail box and back.” Two years ago I ran on a Horse Track in Paducah, KY for a 10 hour endurance run starting at 7 pm until sunrise. That was my first “Full” with little training. I was told I was beyond crazy for running in circles for 10 Hours, but then I did it again the next year and increased that number to 31.5. Crazy was the word again. When I announced that I wanted to do 50 miles, I was told there was a room available at a local mental health facility for me. I may just take them up on that offer as after this 50, a “soft padded” room with meals provided, will sound wonderful!

FYC: What does Feed Your Crazy Mean to you?
Christi: It means stepping out of your “comfort zone” and to do the “unthinkable” whatever that may be to you. Take a chance, you only live once!

Again we share our best wishes to Kristi in training, in life, and on race day. Every one of you face your own unique challenges and somehow rise above. Keep feeding your crazy, keeping yourself happy, and inspiring others. Hearing your stories, seeing your pictures, inspires us. We hope to keep sharing great stories and helping everyone out there become awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment